As of starting 2020 I did a business software consultancy project, but I wanted to get more into the freelance gaming business. So as a freelance game developer I found my first project: a working together with MindstateStudio’s on a digital escaperoom project for Escaperoom071.
The idea was to digitize an existing escaperoom as a part of a bigger project to get more digital content into an otherwise physical business. It was also an opportunity to get a side income during the COVID-19 outbrake.
The game featured:
- 1 escaperoom at start.
- Current gen graphics on mobile, web and PC.
- Up to 6 players per team cross platform, multiple teams at the same time.
- Live gamemasters, a cozy lobby, highscores.
- A back-office system with (re)sellable keys, whitelabeling.
We had 2 months to make this work. Aside from me there were 2 other developers on the team: 1 general game designer and 1 designer with art and sound background.
My attribution to the project:
- Technical advice/choices
- Multiplayer with Photon PUN
- Scripting: Dynamic reusable puzzle system
- Code quality
- CI/CD (Azure DevOps) automatic builds and deployments, manage our collaboration tooling
However as time progressed things went southwards fast. As it turned out MindstateStudi’s and I were being played by a narcissist on the team. During the project we didn’t understand what caused these issues but this disorder combined with a tight deadline brought the project to a halt.
I learned a lot from this adventure. As a person but also as a company.
Random order, tooling used
- Photon PUN, Photon Realtime
- Azure DevOps projects, Azure DevOps Unity builds
- .Net Core 3 WebApp
- Azure WebApp
- Inno Setup 6 installer
- GIT sourcecontrol
I few words from my own:
- A good idea, executed reasonable well, but within a too tight time frame and undermined by a personality disorder.
- From the beginning we were not clear to each other how to hold each other accountable for the deliverables we agreed on.